2021 ኤፕሪል 7, ረቡዕ

Michelle Obama’s Ascent to Success

 


Mezemir G.

April 7, 2021

I was the attendant at Ras Abebe Aregay Library on March 21, 2021, a Sunday morning. I grabbed a book that I was planning to read for long. It was “Becoming,” by Michelle Obama. At the middle of my reading I was astounded to learn that Michelle read from the Internet that there are people who wrote that she is male. I went to a tailor neighbor of mine and told him about this. He responded, “I’m rather worried about the fate of my country!” “We are all worried about our country. But you know, people who claim there is 666 were talking about it” I tried to explain. He seemed uninterested and I headed back to the library pursued reading.  

I read the first part which is about the childhood of the former first lady. Michelle wrote about her family life in Chicago. The unique encounters she had with her brother Craig and their parents were impressive and ignited similar ones in me. As African Americans, they underwent many ups and downs. Fortunately, they had a strong family that cared for their needs. I was so impressed with the story that when I came to my office at the university on Monday I searched YouTube to learn about Craig’s current status. In one video, both of them were giving an interview on Good Morning America. It was really impressive to have a sibling at your book launch. Lucky Michelle!  

I reminisced about my own childhood when I read Michelle’s. It even occurred to me if I could read a biography’s childhood part without remembering mine. In my family we were two children like Michelle’s. I was with Emebet, my sister. Only because my parents divorced did my sister and I live together with our father. I was 10 when they divorced. I was the first child of my parents. The two of us were given to our father. The other two were given to my mother because they needed her care as they were little ones.

As children, cooking was one of our challenges. Firewood being scarce in our area, we had to go to the jungle and find and fetch home. When women from the neighborhood saw me carrying much wood, they would scold their children and ask them to be as good as I was. Theirs never worried, but I did. Water we fetched from a place which was a kilometer or two away. The nearby communal tap water station was built afterwards. But most often our neighbours gave us firewood and water when we didn’t have. Fanaye and Tiringo were our neighbours who always gave us. Tiringo died recently and I couldn’t make it to her funeral. Bearing all that in mind, if I have to make a contribution to my people back home it should be on energy and water.

Michelle is a strong person with seemingly strange decisions. Punching is one of these. She punched a bully girl who harassed her repeatedly. I was not such a person. I bore it anyway. What surprised me the most was her decision to quit her first job at a well-paying law firm for another one that paid half the salary. Who among us here would make that sacrifice? It was at the law firm that Michelle met Barack Hussein Obama, her husband to be. He was an apprentice from the elite law school of Harvard. He had the most coveted position of the editor of Harvard Law.

How the couple made it all the way to the presidency is astounding. Obama’s interest in politics and his absence from home for elongated times was touching. The couple faced miscarriage as well. How they fought it! Eight years at the white house as black couple is unthinkable bearing in mind that African Americans are minority in the United States. A new thing I read in the book was that the gun attack someone made on white house. Why did the USG build the palace like that? I think it should have been a shorter building and covered with trees. All the beauty, grandeur and abundance of the white house seem to fly away with the eight years of Obama’s tenure. We learn from the US system of government that there is no presidency for life. This was the exact idea Obama raised to the African leaders at the AU in Addis. But given the effort and intellectual ability of Obama and his family to get back to normal life from that height they had climbed seems distressing. If they were billionaires for example, they could have the luxury for life. This is my thought as an Ethiopian. At least this is how it is here.  

I read one of Obama’s books before. “Becoming” has inspired me to read the others as well. If I muster the energy and stamina, I don’t have to worry about the books since I have copies. 

 

 

ምንም አስተያየቶች የሉም:

አስተያየት ይለጥፉ

በመንግሥት ወደ ወለጋ ከተወሰዱ በኋላ ዛሬ በግላቸው ደብረብርሃን የገቡት አዛውንት የዓይን ምስክርነት

  በመንግሥት ወደ ወለጋ ከተወሰዱ በኋላ ዛሬ በግላቸው ደብረብርሃን የገቡት አዛውንት የዓይን ምስክርነት ረቡዕ፣ የካቲት 20፣ 2016 ዓ.ም. መዘምር ግርማ ደብረብርሃን   ዛሬ ረፋድ አዲስ አበባ ላምበረ...