2018 ኦገስት 22, ረቡዕ

The Boy Wearing the Arenguage Fota


This year, 2017, has kindly given me the chance to look back into my life. That is why yesterday I wrote to you how I felt hungry one day when I was in grade eight.
It was in that same year that I took Gash Tesfaye’s fota (scarf). My stepfather, Gash Tesfaye, is the father of my half-brother. If you find it hard to make a mental picture of me then, I had a pair of blue locally made trousers. Tadese made them for me, I remember. Thank you uncle! I forgot the color of my jacket which was made by my father. I wore pink sandals. I was not carrying sticks though. Before I forget it, let me tell you why this story is entitled as such. Arenguade Fota means green scarf. This Amharic phrase makes more sense to me than the English one. My friends who heard this story also refer to it using this Amharic phrase.
At 14, I was in Debre Birhan town to register in the high school. While I was walking idly and visiting this town, I discovered that I felt hungry. It was, I think, the bread a woman was selling that reminded me of my hunger. They were small round bread that this woman was selling for just 25 cents. What a time!
“Mam, how much is the bread?” I asked. “Twenty five cents!” she responded. I sent my hands to my pocket and took out fifty cents. Do you think that I thought I could be satisfied with one? No! I ordered two. I stood by the woman and ate one of the bread. It was hard to finish that bread without at least tea. After I was done with one, I didn’t know what to do with the other one.
“I would appreciate it if you take this one loaf of bread and give me the money back,” I begged the woman. She stared at me and giggled, “Hahahahahaha!” “Where do you come from?” she asked me. I told her. “Do you think a town like Debre Birhan is like your country? No bread can be returned. Just get out of my sight!” she responded. “Please Mam. I didn’t think that one would satisfy me,” I begged her. “Put it in your pocket and you will eat it later when you feel hungry,” she advised me. After I assured myself that she was unmovable, I cursed her in my heart, put my bread in my pocket and left.

ምንም አስተያየቶች የሉም:

አስተያየት ይለጥፉ

በመንግሥት ወደ ወለጋ ከተወሰዱ በኋላ ዛሬ በግላቸው ደብረብርሃን የገቡት አዛውንት የዓይን ምስክርነት

  በመንግሥት ወደ ወለጋ ከተወሰዱ በኋላ ዛሬ በግላቸው ደብረብርሃን የገቡት አዛውንት የዓይን ምስክርነት ረቡዕ፣ የካቲት 20፣ 2016 ዓ.ም. መዘምር ግርማ ደብረብርሃን   ዛሬ ረፋድ አዲስ አበባ ላምበረ...